Ahh, the outdoors…There is nothing that beats becoming one with nature. If you’re a camping enthusiast, then you probably know the importance of having a camping blanket as part of your gear, along with a cozy camping chair and a pair of hiking sunglasses. As such, we will be reviewing the 11 best camping blankets for your next camping trip.
Introduction to Camping Blankets
Going for a private camping trip away from all the polluted air, the rants and raves of social media, and the chaos of modern living is a much-needed affair for the modern man.
This is where you really get to flex your muscle and see whether that gym membership is worth it or not.
Why traversing those steep hills really puts your quads to the test, don’t they?
But as long as you’ve got your best mates with you, there’s nothing more enjoyable than popping a cold one with the buddies around a campfire; reminiscing about the good ol’ days when you and your crew ran the show.
Oh, curse you sweet nostalgia:
Be that as it may, the wise men always told us to be prepared. As such, it’s best to keep warm while camping; especially during night-time when temperatures tease below zero.
So, what better way to do so than having a cozy camping blanket? As one of the most underrated camping gears in the market, camping blankets are actually a better slumber option than the ‘body’ bag (as one of my camping friends infamously calls it) because they give you the freedom to move freely as you snooze.
Oh boy…wouldn’t it be great to avoid all the proverbial stiffness that comes with sleeping like a corpse for 6 hours straight.
#Save your back:
As such, we will be analyzing the 11 best camping blankets with varied styles and fabric, as well as give you a detailed review on what features to look out for when it comes to buying a blanket.
All aboard mates, let’s get started!
The 11 Best Camping Blankets in 2022
The Horizon Hound Down
Ideal Blanket For Casual Campers
If comfort is your preference, then this soft albeit versatile lightweight blanket is a great choice for enjoying the simple pleasures of the outdoors! Firstly, you have over 4 color options to choose from depending on what your taste is.
The Horizon Hound Down is protected by a tough, outer-lining of durable nylon to keep you warm when temperatures drop.
The nylon cover also serves as a great water-resistant layer, so that you don’t feel the chilling effects of morning dew as you lay on the ground and sleep beneath the stars.
In terms of space, this blanket is generous; coming in at 80*54 inches; which means both you and your partner can snuggle as you enjoy a warm, cozy, campfire!
If you went with your partner, that is:
The Hound Down also has a lightweight design, hitting the scale at just above one pound. The presence of an exterior water-resistant layer further means that you don’t have to worry about waking up all wet in case it rains through the night.
As we’d mentioned earlier, this blanket has an exterior nylon lining, manufactured from high-quality 20D ripstop nylon.
As such, you not only stay warm during cold camp nights, but also avoid all the creepy crawlers that love to roam the forest floor at night.
- A lightweight design (the blanket only ways a meager 1.1 pounds) meaning you can carry this blanket effortlessly for your subsequent camping trips.
- The presence of a sturdy, tough ripstop makes this durable blanket a keeper for years to come.
- The fact that it is easily machine washable means you don’t have to fret so much about keeping it clean.
- Protect yourself from wet forest floors thanks to the water-resistant nylon lining that encapsulates this blanket.
- The blanket does have its flaws when it comes to workmanship. After a couple of uses, you will notice that the stitches around the edges start to wear out.
- Not considered the most ideal blanket to sleep in when temperatures drop below 50F. (1o Celsius)
Woolly Mammoth Wool Camping Blanket
A Blanket That Emphasizes on Warmth
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast who loves to spend most of the weekends in Mother Nature’s bosom, then the Woolly Mammoth is the perfect camping gear to complement your adventure-filled lifestyle.
Crafted from high-grade wool, the resilience of this particular wool blanket camping accessory is unparalleled. Indeed, you will find that 80% of virgin merino wool really keeps you warm even in the coldest of temperatures.
So, don’t fear to wrap yourself around this warm blanket and avoid nature’s unpredictable weather mood-swings. Rest assured you are in safe hands for a night’s worth of sleep under the stars!
- One of the warmest blankets on the list because it is manufactured from 80% virgin merino wool
- An extremely durable and tough blanket to have while out and about.
- A bold and stylistic finish is clear by the fact that the blanket has a thick, attractive yarn whipstitch.
- We recommend that you purchase a wool-freshener together with this product as the blanket can emit a mild, lanolin smell which can be quite nauseating at times.
- The Wool might feel a bit rough, itchy and uncomfortable for people with sensitive skin.
Snugpak Jungle Camping Blanket
Ideal for long treks in temperate regions
Going by the name, you can tell that the Snugpak Jungle Camping blanket is all about being snug and comfy when you’re out and about conquering your fears of the wild.
The first thing that greets you with the Snugpak is its fantastic lightweight design, which makes the blanket a must-have for long treks. Despite its featherweight feel, it does do its duty of keeping you warm during chilly nights.
One major problem with most camping blankets is that they emit a series of foul odors that arise from coming into contact with dense rotting vegetation found on forest floors. The Snugpak solves this by having antimicrobial and antibacterial properties on its lining to deter any fungus from setting shop on your blanket.
It also comes with a windproof and water-resistant feature that keeps you dry and sand-free as you sleep.
In terms of aesthetics, you have the option to pick three unique colors if you love to project your persona into your camping activites.
- One of the easiest blankets to fold and keep in small spaces with its ultra-compact design.
- The blanket is both sand proof and waterproof.
- Resistant to puncture or penetration by sharp objects when you’re lying on the ground.
- The inside insulation is not attached well to the outer cover of the blanket, so you might feel a little chilly as the insulation slips under.
Kelty Bestie Camping Blanket
Another Best Bet For a Casual Camper
Considered the ideal choice for casual campers, the Kelty Bestie Blanket is a safe bet for short camping trips. For one, it comes with a Cloud loft insulation that keeps you warm and cozy as you absorb all of nature’s scenic environments.
The Keltie Bestie also serves the dual purpose of being a picnic blanket because of its lightweight desing; not to mention a wide array of colors that make it a great addition for a Sunday picnic.
- Comes in at the size of 75.5 in * 42.2 perfect for easy lounging
- Has Cloudform insulation for increased warmth
- An extra staff sack for you to store essentials.
- It should be clear that this blanket is not a substitute for a sleeping bag because it doesn’t fare well in extremely cold temperatures.
Zefabak Down Camping Blanket
Keeps You Dry in Humid Regions
The great thing about purchasing the ZEFABAK Camping Blanket is that once you wrap yourself inside it, you’ll feel as if you’re right in your bed…even if you’re dozing off in the Peruvian Desert!
Indeed, this is the ultimate sleeping bag primarily because of its light and super-soft design.
Additionally, the outside lining of the blanket is crafted from 20D Ripstop Nylon for added insulation.
After enjoying the beauty of the outdoors, you can easily roll this warm blanket into your backpack.
- The Zefabak has a super cozy and comfortable design.
- The blanket comes with insulated air pockets for you to put your warm drinks and foodstuffs.
- The blanket is water-resistant so that you don’t have to worry about the damping effects of moisture.
- There have been a few complaints that the bag has a minimal filling, so not ideal for extremely cold temperatures.
EKTOS 90% Wool Camping Blanket
The Blanket For Professional Campers
When it comes to warmth and insulation, wool is the quintessential material for making camping blankets.
Indeed, the EKTOS survival blanket is a must-have if you’re an extreme camper!
The extra weight from this waterproof outdoor blanket also means that you feel warm and secure regardless of how chilly it becomes.
This is also a great blanket to keep in your vehicle in case your air-conditioner is faulty. Being that it is machine washable, you’ll always have a warm and clean blanket ready for use.
- The blanket is made from 10% of Synthetic Fibers and 90% wool.
- For maximum warmth, the EKTOS is manufactured from high-quality Virgin Merino Wool
- The blanket is machine washable hence you can keep it clean for years to come.
- Lightweight design means that you’ll barely break a sweat carrying this blanket around.
- The blanket experiences excessive shedding after a couple of camping trips.
- After a few washes, there will be a pungent smell that will make the blanket quite unbearable. It’s best to purchase a wool freshener together with this blanket.
Oceas Outdoor Waterproof Camping Blanket
A Great Blanket for A weekend Camping Trip
Camping can be a great pastime during weekends. But there’s always a chance that rain might impede all the fun. As such, you need to invest in a waterproof camping blanket.
The Oceas Outdoor is an extra-large, durable, camping blanket that is crafted from high-quality material to keep your body warm and dry in any moisture-laden weather.
It is also portable meaning that you can easily pack it with other camping necessities.
- Manufactured from the highest quality material making it 100% water-proof
- The blanket has an outer layer of double coating which means that you can use it in just about any damp or chilly region.
- For ease of transportation, the blanket it comes in a portable bag boasting sturdy handles.
- One of the noisiest blankets that will probably wake you up as you sleep.
Mambe 100% Waterproof Camping Blanket
Decent Blanket, Although a Bit Expensive
The Mambe Extreme camping blanket is a multi-functional blanket that can be used for just about any camping activity. Manufactured from Polartec Classic Fleece, it’s a great option if your emphasis is on softness and warmness as you sleep.
The blanket also comes in a wide array of colors to suit your style!
- A 100% windproof and waterproof blanket
- Easy to keep clean as it is machine-washable
- Very soft and warm because it is made from Genuine Polartec Classic 300 Fleece.
- Even though it is warm, it is not the best camping blanket for extremely cold regions.
- This blanket is super-expensive.
Genuine US Military All Weather Poncho Liner
A Cheap Alternative for Extreme Camping
The beauty of camping is that it exposes you to all kinds of thrills and adventures. So, you have to be one step ahead of nature.
With that said, the Genuine US Military All Weather Poncho Liner is a must-have for any deep-woods excursions. The fact that this blanket is waterproof means you don’t have to worry about any rain.
The blanket is further crafted from 100% Nylon on one side, and 100% polyester on the other, making it the most durable, water-resistant, and lightweight blanket for any rugged camper.
With a Woodland Camouflage design, you can use it to blend in perfectly with the environment if hunting is also on your to-do list.
- Crafted from a 100% Polyester and Nylon combination.
- The blanket has a massive size of 82’*62’
- With a woodland camouflage, you can camp and blend in perfectly with the environment.
- Not the best stitching in the market.
Pendleton Twin Wool Camping Blanket
A Cozy Blanket For Two
Campers with an old-school vibe will love the Pendleton blanket! Manufactured from 14% cotton and 86% wool, it ensures you remain super-warm even in the coldest regions.
Indeed, this is the perfect cozy blanket for two, enabling you to hold the most romantic camping getaways for you and your partner.
- Extremely warm thanks to a combination of wool and cotton.
- Wide sized with a 66*84-inch design suitable for two people.
- It’s not the best-looking blanket in terms of aesthetic value.
Bearz Outdoor Beach Camping Blanket
Makes Your Camping Gear Super-Light
As a rule of thumb, always make your camping gear as light as possible. This is always important especially if you plan on hiking to a particular destination and you don’t want to have a lot of weight impeding your movement.
As such, the Bearz Outdoor Beach Blanket is a great option to have especially if you’re heading for a picnic to the beach or a trek to the mountains.
When strong winds arise, you can put stones at the edges of the blanket to ensure it’s not blown away.
Coming at a size of 55’ by 60’, this blanket is ideal for two to four people. It also comes with wide variety colors so that you can select whichever suits your style.
- The blanket has solid insulation of Cloud loft
- The stuff sack possesses a handle so that you can carry it easily from one place to another.
- A lightweight design makes this blanket one for long distances.
- Since the blanket is extremely thin, it is not the most ideal option to use for sleeping when it is raining heavily.
How to Choose the Best Camping Blanket
Ideally, a great camping blanket means that you get sufficient rest through the night with ample warmth and comfort for you to stay active the next day.
To achieve this, there are quite a number of features you need to consider before selecting the best blanket for your camping trip.
Here are the things to consider before purchasing a camping blanket:
It’s a no-brainer that warmth and comfort are the first things to keep in mind before traversing the wild. You’d also want to keep yourself as dry as possible, hence your blanket should be water-resistant.
From the aforementioned statement, there are three main materials to consider.
Wool– Wool is one of the most durable and long-lasting camping blanket materials. It’s a great option if you’re going camping in cold (albeit dry) weather because its insulating properties will keep you warm especially during night-time. One major drawback of wool is the smell that it emits when exposed to moisture.
Synthetic– When synthetic materials were first used to make camping blankets, they resulted in more lightweight and durable designs. Synthetic materials are great at resisting wind and water, and the fact that they are generally cheaper make them a fan-favorite for camping enthusiasts.
Fleece- Flees blankets tend to be the most expensive because they are manufactured from synthetic polyester which keeps you super-warm and dry as you rest. That being said, prepare to fork out a fortune if you’re going the fleece way!
Depending on whether you like camping with your significant other or going el solo lobo, the idea is to select a blanket that is large enough to cover your sufficiently from head to toe. It just doesn’t make sense if you’re 6’3 and opt for a 6’ camping blanket.
When you go hiking, it is essential that you pack light if you plan to cover long treks. Thankfully, many blanket engineers put this in mind during the design process, so most camping blankets tend to be featherweight.
Despite a sunny weather prediction earlier, you always have to be prepared if things go south. As such, it’s essential to have a blanket with great insulation to keep you warm even when temperatures near the dreaded zero.
Most of the modern blankets in today’s market are usually lightweight but constructed form high-quality thermal materials to keep you warm.
You will most likely purchase a blanket depending on the kind of camping excursions you want to participate in. For example, if you’re going out to a popular camping spot close to your neighborhood, then you might need something light and easy to carry.
Conversely, if you plan to go deep into the woods or mountains, then a high-quality, durable, waterproof camping blanket is your best friend!
There is nothing as life-threatening as being wet and cold while deep in the woods with no cell service.
Talk about being the premise of a scary horror-movie!
So, if your camping blanket can protect you against the rain and cold winds, then you have a great blanky by your side!
While color might not be the most important feature when it comes to purchasing a blanket, there are times when it can prove essential. Especially if you’re going for a hunting trip and would like to blend seamlessly with the environment.
Having an identifiable blanket is also a great option if you get lost and would like to be identified by your party group.
Nevertheless, when it comes to color, you have the freedom to select one that suits your persona entirely!
At the end of the day, the Horizon Hound Down steals the show for being the best camping blanket for the casual camper. If you’re they type of guy who loves to take a short trip out of town to enjoy nature’s pleasantries for a day or two, then we highly recommend this blanket for you and your friends or family. It’s got great insulation, durable, and pretty friendly on your pocket!